Junior Skills Clinic
(& Youth Camp)
New for 2020: Full day CAMP!
Parents: enjoy Oregon’s singletrack stress free!
your kids Will be shredding, learning MTB skills and having fun!
Friday & Saturday
- 8:15am – 12:30am – Mountain bike instruction
- Focusing on basic and intermediate fundamental bike skills, including skills for enjoying trail features.
- Lots of fun on the bike games.
- 12:30 – 3pm – Youth Camp Activities as listed below. Parents are welcome to join your kids if you are back from riding.
- At Westfir Camp with pump track, playground and grassy area to play.
- Activities include individual and group art projects, all materials and movement activities.
- 8:15am – 2:15pm – Guided singletrack mountain bike ride! Your kiddo gets to shuttle just like you!
Ages served: 8-14 years, based on capability.
- We are open to working with younger-than-eight years, based on each child’s riding and self-management capabilities.
- All participants need to be self-regulated and be able to do basic self care.
- They must have at least one parent as a registered paid participant of MBO.
Number of Juniors: Minimum participants: 5, Maximum: 28
Instructor/Junior Ratio: 2 Instructor/5 Juniors including a crew of Jr Guides & Teachers.
Bike Skills Program Will Include:
- Basic and Intermediate mountain biking skills, focusing on progression of each skill.
- Bike Safety and Equipment Use, Operation of Controls, Body Position, Trail Scanning and Risk Management, taught in a safe, educational, supportive and summer camp like environment.
What to Bring
- Functioning bicycle (instructors will help inspect), helmet, hydration pack or small back pack and cage mounted sports bottle, comfortable, yet safe riding apparel, and a positive attitude!
- Lunch is included, but please include light day snacks in your child’s day pack.
The Junior program will provide a safe, educational and fun series of adventures. A great way to bring your kids to MBO and have them gain new skills for riding in a supportive and summer camp like environment.
our Safety, Intention & Inclusion details
Foremost in the MBO Junior Program is the safety of all participants. Beyond that, the Program provides fun instruction for all students based on their bicycling skills and physical strengths. Students are asked to assess their own strengths and skills, and at times challenge themselves. Students will also be asked to take care of their own personal needs, but the Instructors are always available to assist.
Our Lead Instructor is Dennis Sibilia-Young who has been a guide at Mountain Bike Oregon for six years, a member of Disciples of Dirt, holds certificates that include: PMBIA, NICA, the Oregon Interscholastic League, the Willamette National Forest Special Permit Department, Oregon Outfitter Guide Program & Wilderness First Aid Training for Mountain Biking. Our second Lead Instructor is Tom Lyons also a former Mountain Bike Oregon guide and manager of City of Sisters (Oregon) Youth Mountain Bike program.
The Junior Program will also have a couple of “Junior Guides” working alongside the adults and helping to demonstrate and inspire the Juniors in the program. The “Junior Guides” are experienced youth Mountain Bikers who are part of the MBO family and on their own path of learning to become Guides in Training for the event.